I’d like to introduce you to fellow blogger and buddy, Jess, who has a blog called LuaLosangeles and comes up with these brilliant, mouth-watering recipes. What I love about LuaLosangeles is that it perfectly mixes great fashion and hearty food. Even though Jess lives in Los Angeles (home to the super diet and workout buffs) and works in fashion, you won’t find her preaching rabbit food recipes like plain chicken on lettuce with no dressing (yuck!). She’s all about satisfying bites from beer battered fish tacos to macadamia nut pancakes because, in her words, “good food never goes out of style.” Bring it on!
1. Hi Jessica! Thanks so much for doing this. Where are you from and where did you grow up? I grew up in a small town in Knoxville, Tennessee . My mother married an Italian from Brooklyn, NY and it was in there in my hometown where they opened an Italian restaurant called Savelli’s, which is where my love of food was cultivated.
2. When did you start getting into cooking at home? Have you always been into food since you were little? Well, considering I grew up in the family restaurant business I was always around food and cooking. I have spent 90% of my life in kitchens. I hated coming home to cook after being surrounded by food and it wasn’t until I moved to Los Angeles that I really started to get busy in the kitchen myself. I always had my mother around cooking these incredible meals and I would never dare compete with her. It wasn’t until I moved out on my own and began buying the proper utensils and really perusing the local farmer’s market that I really began to become passionate.
3. I’m planning a romantic dinner with my boyfriend…what should I make? This is a good one. The first meal I made for a first date with my boyfriend was blackened salmon with a blue cheese white wine cream sauce, with asparagus and white truffle garlic mashed potatoes. Needless to say, we have been together ever since. There was something so rich and decadent about these flavors , almost romantic if you will. And yet, very easy. I don’t think most boyfriends would enjoy fussy food.
4. How do you spend your weekends and your downtime? I’m pretty much at the beach, in Santa Barbara or trekking up to Solvang for some wine tasting most weekends . I am such an explorer and I have to be constantly exploring new haunts. I’m a big fan of flea markets, too.
5. You have so many great recipes and I love the fact that you’re not afraid of posting some really amazing, decadent, yummy food. What’s your inspiration behind the recipes? I like to eat what tastes good. Oh and I am quite the short order cook. I tend to make what I want, when I want. I have a huge sweet tooth and I think this definitely reflects in my blog. Don’t get me wrong, I still eat healthily. I love fresh carrot, ginger and apple juice and I plan on only juicing for at least a week in the very near future. Should make for a challenging and interesting week on my blog. The juicing keeps me in line. And I love all fish, fresh fruit and veggies, too.
6. Speaking of yummy decadent food, how do you eat all that stuff and stay skinny? Do you workout or follow any kind of diet regimen? I try and hike several times a week to clear my head. Oh and the juicing definitely helps. But I am a firm believer in everything in moderation. One slice of pizza, one cookie, etc. Small portions. I believe that indulging every once is healthy. Ands lots and lots of water!
7. Who are some of your favorite designers? My favorite designers are always the ones you’ve never heard of. I love vintage pieces that you’d never see on anyone else and good quality basics like James Perse. Trends come and go and at the end of every season it’s a shame to look at your closet like a giant heap of cash you blew through. There is a designer from New Zealand, Ruby, that I am loving at the moment. But, yes, it looks vintage. Oh and Miu Miu and Alexander Wang has been staples in my wardrobe.
8. Describe your fashion style and a typical daily uniform. I tend to wear what I like. If it looks good, I’ll buy it. I tend to swing more towards a bohemian, seventies, part gypsy look. But sometimes I love the whole parisian nautical chic. Or a 50’s housewife look. See, I just like it all!! No, it really just depends on my mood. I embrace it all. That’s what fashion is all about. Not conforming to one particular look.
As for my daily uniform, I’d say my JBrand doll jeans or ripped cutoffs , one of my father’s shirts that he wore when he was my age, and my Marni wooden platforms. Oh and lots of bracelets, lol. Yes, I love bell bottomed jeans and I feel they are so refreshing to see instead of the typical skinny jeans that you see everywhere. As for my father’s shirt, it’s this beautiful faded blue , truly vintage and the softest shirt ever. It’s nice and soft and drapes perfectly over my body. The shoes are amazing and I tend to wear them with everything. I get a whole 5 1/2 inches from them ! Now, on a weekend night, maybe a Balenciaga dress, my Herve Leger black tank dress or vintage tops with black skinny jeans. Oh, and I have an amazing shoe collection!
9. What would be your ultimate dream job? Owning a quaint , established restaurant in a beautiful locale, surrounded by friends and family with overflowing good wine:)